Here’s my favourite recipe for a delicious one bowl chocolate cake, that I know you’ll just adore! This cake will suit most eating styles and it can be enjoyed by everyone – whether you’re gluten free, dairy free, paleo or just love eating chocolate, this cake is for you.
WHAT’S GREAT ABOUT IT
Cocoa is one of the highest known antioxidant whole foods on the planet. Rich in magnesium, iron, copper, manganese, riboflavin and essential micronutrients for health and vitality. Olive Oil is my number-one favourite and I use it liberally in all types of cooking including baking. This oil is beautiful-tasting and marries perfectly with chocolate. Coconut Flour is gluten free and nut free so it’s kind to sensitive digestive systems. It’s a little difficult to bake for beginners, but once you perfect your ratio of flour to liquid - it’s smooth sailing. Coconut flour also doesn’t give you that high blood sugar / insulin spike that you can often get with refined white flours.
INGREDIENTS (makes 1 cake)
1/2 cup (2 3/4 oz) Naked Chocolate or a good quality unsweetened dark cocoa powder such as Valrhona
1/2 cup (2 3/4 oz) coconut flour
2 1/2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
6 organic eggs
1/2 cup raw honey, organic maple syrup or your choice of sweetener
1/2 cup (4 1/2 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 160°C / 320°F – fan forced.
- Combine the cocoa, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, honey, olive oil, coconut milk and vanilla.
- Mix well until smooth and combined – a whisk works well for this.
- Pour into a 20 cm (9 inch) baking tin lined with baking paper.
- Bake the cake for 55 – 60 minutes or until cooked through. Best to test after 45 mins to make sure as oven temps may vary.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Spread with ganache or healthy chocolate mousse and enjoy.